New word

I found myself needing to express a concept in my essay for which there is no word in English; it was very frustrating. The concept is a verb: “to reduce the physical length scale of a phenomenon without reducing its intensity or amount”. It is an an antonym of “magnify”. The closest words I’ve found are “compress” and “condense”, both of which fall short. “Compress” implies that a single instance of the has been squished, in contrast to “magnify” which implies a copying of the instance (“magnify” is different from “stretch”). “Condense” implies that the phenomenon is initially vaporous, which is false; it is merely large.

One Reply to “New word”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.